Today is the first in quite some time that I’ve been able to go outside without fear of frostbite. In Calgary it has been a frigid couple of weeks – a frigid couple of months, really – in which the temperatures have hovered around -30 to -40 Celsius (that’s -22 to -47 Fahrenheit, for my American friends). Generally we have a few days of those bone-chilling low temperatures per year, but this winter the icy cold has made its presence felt for far too long.
In Calgary during the winter, we get periodic warm winds coming over the Rocky Mountains called Chinooks, and when one blows through town we can see a temperature increase of anywhere from 10 to 40 degrees. For instance, a couple of days ago it was -30C (-22F), while the current temperature is +8C (+46F), and I’m just about ready to throw on my bikini and sit on the deck with a margarita. The relief from the cold is so wonderful that I don’t even mind the massive headaches I tend to get from the pressure change…Ohhh Canada.
Enough about the weather – what am I, making small talk? Here’s what happened this week:
What I posted:
- Monte Cristo Stacks – A fabulously indulgent breakfast creation with French toast, Gouda, bacon and sautéed cinnamon apples.
- London Fog Sugar Cookies – Infused with the flavours of Earl Grey tea and vanilla beans, with a crumbly, buttery, shortbread-like texture.
What I pinned:
- Blood Orange, Fennel and Avocado Salad from Cookie + Kate. Warm weather means that cold salads are an acceptable meal choice once again. I can’t wait to give this one a try!
- Broccoli Quinoa Casserole from Damn Delicious. She calls it “healthy, cheesy comfort food without any of the guilt.” Sign me up.
- Raw Blueberry and Kiwi Tart from Blissful Basil. A stunningly beautiful vegan dessert.
That’s all, folks. Check back tomorrow when I share the recipe for what will surely be your new favourite pizza.
Until next time,