There is a great little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant by my house: they proudly serve real Mexican cuisine, and even have signs up proclaiming you won’t find Tex-Mex food on their menu. The portions are large, the salsa is spicy, and I leave satisfied every single time.
One dish I’ve ordered countless times is their delectable Chicken Enchiladas Verdes – tender, juicy shredded chicken rolled up in tortillas and smothered with a spicy green enchilada sauce and melted cheese. Add a side of rice and beans, some fresh pico de gallo and a scoop of sour cream and you have one of my favourite restaurant meals ever.
This pizza borrows flavours from that dish, albeit the best my non-Mexican cooking skills allow. Instead of pizza sauce, the dough is spread with green enchilada sauce or salsa verde, then covered liberally with shredded chicken, black beans and cheese and baked until golden and bubbly. To finish, I drizzled the top with taco sauce and sprinkled it with chopped tomatoes and some fresh cilantro. The final product is cheesy, spicy and packed with enchilada flavours.
My go-to pizza dough recipe produces one 14-inch pie with a relatively thick crust, or else two smaller 12-inch pies with thinner, crisper crusts. I am a thin crust kind of girl, so I opted for 2 smallish pies.
I made one pizza exactly as the recipe listed below, and added some pickled jalapeños to the other. I love spicy food, but with the salsa verde and the taco sauce the pizza was already spicy and the jalapeños elevated it from “pleasantly-tingly” spicy to “my-mouth-is-on-fire”-spicy. The choice is yours: if you’re really into spice, you can up the heat with jalapeños or banana peppers or something similar. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 1 recipe your favourite pizza dough
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup taco sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Dollop of sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Roll out pizza dough into either one large 14-inch pizza (thicker crust) or two 12-inch pizzas (thin crust) on pizza pans or baking sheets.
- Spread salsa verde evenly onto prepared dough. Sprinkle with chicken, black beans, shredded mozzarella and shredded monterey jack cheeses. Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly, about 12-15 minutes (depending on the size of your pies and the thickness of the crust).
- To garnish cooked pizzas, drizzle with taco sauce and scatter chopped tomatoes evenly over the surface. Sprinkle cilantro on top, if using, and finish with a dollop of sour cream in the centre. Serve immediately.