Any big plans tonight? As none of our family is available for a big dinner this evening, the Devour household will be celebrating Easter in style at our local steakhouse. While I do love cooking (as evidenced by this little blog), sometimes it is nice to have a night off. Momentarily we will be heading over to my mother-in-law’s for a family breakfast, but after that my day is going to be full of non-Eastery things like getting my taxes done, folding laundry and raking my yard.
Speaking of which, last weekend we bought all of our seeds for the backyard vegetable garden! I’m still pretty new to gardening, and I do not have a green thumb when it comes to flowers, but I seem to be able to handle vegetables and fruit. Last year, I had a lot of success with raspberries, rhubarb, peas, zucchini, spaghetti squash, carrots, tomatoes, beets and radishes. This year, I’m hoping to expand on that and add green beans, strawberries, fennel and lots of herbs. I’ll let you know how it goes, and I look forward to sharing recipes with the fruits of my labour this summer!
In case you missed a post, here’s what’s happened this past fortnight:
- Double Chocolate Ginger Cookies are rich, fudgy, and studded with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Chicken Noodle Soup: the most basic sick-person comfort food, made completely from scratch.
- Oatmeal Ginger Pancakes with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote. Your new favourite pancake recipe, I promise. And you won’t even miss the maple syrup.
- Crab Cakes are crispy, golden and loaded with fresh crab and green peas, served with a cool, creamy lemon-caper yogurt sauce.
- Blood Orange Tartlets are a beautiful dessert with a simple pastry recipe that even I couldn’t mess up!
That’s all for now. Whether you celebrate Easter or not, have a wonderful day and enjoy your big dinner tonight with your family. I’ll be thinking of all of you tonight while I am savouring my petit filet and loaded baked potato. 😉
Until next time,